What is a Company Secretary?
The Company Secretary (CS), is one of the most important posts in a company. He/she acts as the conscience seeker for the company. To manage the legal aspects of a company, a certified Company Secretary will be hired. The CS is responsible to complete the tax returns of the company, keep records, advise the board of directors and ensure compliance with all legal and statutory regulations.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India is India’s only professional body that regulates and develops the profession of Company Secretaries. ICSI offers education and training to thousands of potential Company Secretaries. There are currently over 50,000 members. ICSI currently has more than 50,000 members. There are also approximately 4,00,000. Students on its rolls.
An individual must pass three levels of training and exam to be qualified to practice company secretaryship professionally.
Candidates who wish to study CS can get training at the Institute of Company Secretaries of India. The institute offers CS courses at all three levels. Candidates are awarded certificates upon completion of the course.
ICSI offers three levels of CS programs:
- Foundation Programme
- Executive Program
- Professional Program
Eligibility Criteria for Company Secretary
To be a certified company secretary, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- To register for the Foundation Programme (first level) of the Company Secretary course, you must pass Class XII in any stream (except fine arts) at a recognized university.
- Candidates who wish to pursue CS as a career after graduation will need to complete only two levels: the Executive Programme and the Professional Programme
- All Graduates and Postgraduates (except Fine Arts) are exempted to pass the Foundation Programme exam.
Entrance Exams for Company Secretary
- ICSI’s Company Secretary programme is open all year. Exams are held bi-annually in June or December. Candidates can choose the exam month they wish to take.
- If you wish to take the Foundation Programme exam in December (the same year), enroll by March 31. If you wish to take the June exam next, enroll by September 30.
- For the December exam, those who want to join CS must enroll by February 28. Or by August 31 if they wish to appear in both the June and December modules.
- If one wishes to take part in a module of the June Examination next year, they must register in Executive Programme before November 30.
- If a candidate scores at least 40% in each paper and 50% in the total of all subjects, he/she is considered to have passed Foundation/Executive / Professional.
Skillset for Company Secretary
This job requires persistence, mental strength, and persuasive power. Below are some of the skills that you will need to do this job.
|Skillset for Company Secretary Aspirant|
|Strong communication skills||Expertise in Company Law|
|Time management & multitasking||Command over written and spoken English|
|Competent with numbers||Meticulous planner|
Company Secretary Courses and Specialization
This is a professional course for corporate employees. This foundation course covers the topics of business environment, management, communication ethics, economics and accounting. The CS executive program includes company law, tax law and general law. Securities law is also included. Accounts & audit practice are also covered. The final level teaches candidates about secretarial and financial management. Candidates can choose to specialize in one of the following areas: Banking Law and Practice; Capital, Commodity and Money Market; Insurance Law and Practice; Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice; International Business-Laws and Practices
Structure for Company Secretary Fees
Below is the CS Course Fee Structure.
CS Executive Entrance Exam Fees
|CSEET Registration fees||Rs 1,000 per appearance|
As mentioned, a concession in CSEET registration fees will be available:
|Wards and Widows of Martyrs and Defence Service Personnel with Permanent Disability||100%|
|Serving / Retired Personnel of Defence Services and Paramilitary Forces||50%|
|ICSI Staff and Wards / Spouse of ICSI Staff||75%|
|ICLS Officers/ Officers & Staff of MCA and affiliated offices (NCLT, SFIO and CCI)||100%|
|Students from North Eastern States, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep & Himachal Pradesh||50%|
|Students from the Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh||100%|
CS Executive Course Fees
|Particulars||Fee to be paid by candidates who have passed:|
|CS Executive Entrance Test||CS Foundation Programme||Final Course of ICAI (The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India)||Final Course of ICMAI (The Institute of Cost Accountants of India)|
|CSEET Exemption Fee||Nil||Nil||5000||5000|
|Pre-Exam Test Fee||1000||1000||1000||1000|
|One Day Orientation Program||600||600||600||600|
|Chartered Secretary JournalSubscription (Optional) forone year||500||500||500||500|
|Total Fees||Rs 10,600||Rs 10,600||Rs 15,600||Rs 15,600|
CS Professional Course Fees (After completing the Executive program)
|Education Fee||Rs 12,000|
|Pre-Exam Test Fee||Rs 1,000|
|Total Fees||Rs 13,000|
Exam Fee for Company Secretary
|Executive||Rs. 1200 per Module|
|Professional||Rs. 1200 per Module|
NotificationLate fees of Rs. 250 will be charged to candidates. 250 if the candidate is not registered within the time limit.
Subjects for Company Secretary
There are four papers in the Foundation Programme; eight papers in Executive Programme and nine papers within Professional Programme. The syllabus for CS can be viewed below by candidates:
- Law and Business Environment
- Business Management, Entrepreneurship and Ethics
- Business Economics
- Accounting and Auditing Fundamentals
|Module I||Module II|
|Jurisprudence, Interpretation & General Laws||Corporate & Management Accounting|
|Company Law||Securities Laws & Capital Markets|
|Setting up of Business Entities and Closure||Economic, Business and Commercial Laws|
|Tax Laws||Financial & Strategic Management|
|Module I||Module II||Module III|
|Governance, Risk Management, Compliances and Ethics||Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence||Corporate Funding & Listings in Stock Exchanges|
|Advanced Tax Law||Corporate Restructuring, Insolvency, Liquidation & Winding-up||Multidisciplinary Case Studies (The examination for this paper will be open-book examination)|
|Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances||Resolution of Corporate Disputes, Non-Compliances & Remedies||Electives 1 paper out of below 8 papersBanking – Law & PracticeInsurance– Law & PracticeIntellectual Property Rights– Laws and PracticesForensic AuditDirect Tax Law & PracticeLabour Laws & PracticeValuations & Business ModellingInsolvency – Law and Practice (The examination for this paper will be open book examination)|
Potential Career Opportunities and Prospects for Company Secretary
The future is bright for CS professionals. This is a highly regarded job. After completing the course, candidates can work in various government departments, including stock exchange, company affairs, law board and other government departments.
The Company Secretary Course opens up many avenues for individuals in the worlds of finance and business. A certified and trained Company Secretary can act as an independent advisor for a company in the areas of taxes, partnership, licensing, registrations, loans, etc. You can join a company secretary firm in order to provide services to clients.
The following are the key responsibilities for a Company Secretary:
- Maintain company records and tax returns. Inform the Board of Directors about their legal obligations to comply with statutory legislation.
- The Company Secretary acts as a link between the company, its Board of Directors, shareholders and regulatory authorities.
- This job involves ensuring that Board procedures and reviews are regularly done. It also includes guiding the Chairman and Directors in fulfilling their legal responsibilities.
- Assisting in the implementation of corporate, securities, and other business laws and regulations.
- The Company Secretary assists with the development of a framework for corporate and social sustainability.
- The Company Secretary is responsible to secretarial compliance audits and certification services, and represents the company before the law boards, consumer forums and tax tribunals.
- Assisting in the negotiation, arbitration, and conciliation of commercial disputes between the parties, as well as the drafting of the agreement
- Services to provide advice for companies regarding tax planning and management under Income Tax, Excise, and Customs laws, Service Tax, and VAT.
- Offering advice on issues of shares and other securities in India as well as abroad.
- Assisting lead managers with the preparation of prospectus/offer to sell/letter of offer and other documents related to securities.
As an independent professional, a company secretary can provide services in the following areas
- Legal, secretarial, and corporate governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Foreign Collaborations and Joint Ventures
- Arbitration and Conciliation
- Financial Management
- Project Planning
- Capital Market and Investor Relations
- Due Diligence
- Corporate Advisory Services
Profiles of Company Secretary & Recruiters
As Chartered Accountants, company secretaries are also a necessity for all businesses, large or small, public or private. A company secretary is required for every business to manage tax, legal, investment, and other aspects. Many companies employ independent company secretaries, while others choose to use services provided by Company Secretary firms.
Qualified company secretaries can find work in all industries, including financial institutions and banks as well as heavy industry and government agencies.
Profiles of Company Secretary Jobs
Below are the profiles candidates will get upon completing the course.
- Assistance to the Board of Directors
- Company Registrar
- Legal Advisor
- Corporate Policymaker
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Principal Secretary
- Corporate Planner
- Managing Director
- Administrative Assistant
- Administrative Secretary
- Investor Capital Market Relations
- Contents Coordinator
Company secretary recruiters
We have provided a list of companies that regularly hire company secretaries.
|Top Recruiters for Company Secretaries|
|ACB Group of Companies||Punjab National Bank|
|Monolith Industries Limited||Shri Lal Mahal Ltd|
|GlocaL Healthcare Systems Pvt Ltd||Parsvnath Infra ltd|
|Trinity Reinsurance Brokers Limited||Janalakshmi Financial Services Pvt Ltd|
|Indian Railway Finance Corporation Limited||DaVita Care (India) Pvt Limited|
|Jaypee Group||SNG & Partners (Law Firm)|
|Heinz India Pvt Ltd||Birla Corporation Ltd|
|Omaxe Ltd||BGM Consortium Ltd|
|Karur Vysya Bank Limited||OIL India Limited|
|BESTECH India Pvt Ltd||HCL Technologies Limited|
FAQs about Company Secretary Courses
Q. What are the courses for CS?
A. The Company Secretary Foundation Program covers four core subjects. Two core modules are required for the Executive program. The Company Secretary Professional Program has three core modules.
Q. Q. Is CS a career choice?
A. It is a great career choice for the long-term. There are many career options available after completing CS courses.
Q. Is CS tough?
CS consists mainly of theoretical papers, which can make it one of the most challenging courses for students. Candidates can pass the exam if they are prepared.
Q. Is Maths compulsory for CS?
A. A. Candidates can pass the exam if they are prepared.
Q. Q. Is there a maximum age to take CS courses?
A. There is no age limit for the course. Candidates can choose to pursue the course at their own pace.
Q. Q. How many attempts can you make to create CS?
A. A. 6 attempts are permitted for the CS Foundation program, while 10 are allowed to complete the CS profession program.
Q. How can I become CS after BCom?
A. A. It is not necessary to take the CS Foundation exam.
Q. Q. Can CS and CA be pursued together?
A. Candidates cannot take CS and CA courses simultaneously. To avoid hassle, candidates must only pursue one course at once.
Q. Q. How do I apply for an exemption from the CS Executive program?
A. Candidats who score more than 60% in any paper or papers, and less than 25% in any remaining papers in the module in which they have appeared, will be exempt from appearing in that paper at the subsequent examinations.
Q. How many years is Company Secretary course?
A. It is three years long. There are three levels to the CS program:
- Foundation Programme
- Executive Program
- Professional Program
Q. What is the salary of CS?
A. A. The starting salary for a CS is Rs. 3 lakh per year and Rs. 6 lakh annum for entry at mid-level.
Hope you got a lot to know about cs full form in commerce. We have tried to give you information about cs full form, full form of cs, cs ka full form, cs full form in commerce, full form of cs. Along with this, we have told about cs ka full form, If you still have any question in your mind about cs ka full form then you can ask us by commenting in the comment box below.